Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

Art and Representation


Susan Rothenburg


Aurel Schmidt


Oliver Herring


Robert Williams


Charles Ray

Questions
-Does the act of continuously replicating reality eventually lead to abstraction or is the act or replicating and abstraction already?

-When representing something realistic, is the realness found in the authenticness and mimicry of the objects with a piece or the feeling it is transmitting?

-Does the viewers understanding of the representation change with time or is the idea everlasting?

“Well, are you doing a figure or are you doing this presence? You’re doing the presence.” So I let go of whatever I needed to, and I kept what I wanted.” ROTHENBERG
Isn’t all art representing something?
I really enjoyed reading this topic, as well as, presenting it to the class. All of my work is representative through emotion and when I read Rothenberg’s quote I felt I really connected to it. I work from a place that has no physicality, it is only energy; but in contrast I produce something with a lot of physical elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment