Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2010

The Radicant

More and more questions arise as I read through Bourriaur's writing, like why must we all systematically describe ourselves based upon circumstances we had no control over. Have you ever heard someone from NYC talk about where they are from? Whether or not you where born in the correct hospital matters on how "original" or "authentic" ones roots to the city are. And while I find this a bit nonsesical, considering the amount of people that are living and born in city everyday, I can also understand their need for identification of thier roots. Increasinly what is more intersesting isn't the fact that people need to tell their "story", but why we find it so hard to let it go. Without our identifying factors, who are we?

One can also see this sub-secting within every title given, or every place on the planet. We have a need to identify and catoragories things down to specific cells floating through ones blood stream. We must know how and why, where it is from and to where it is going. It is part of our "search".

Search for what? I find this identifying factor to be of little or no meaning when relating to my art, but of great significance when it comes to my personal understanding of myself, or others; which indirectly effects my artwork. So am I a rooted tree ? Or am I merely a vine that grows on the outside of a building ?

Either way does it matter... ? Does a root really have to be something tangible?

Could the root just be the way something is done?

Or is it an never ending quest of what preceded that, which was preceded by........ and so on?

No comments:

Post a Comment